San Bernardino County Development Code Sections 84.01.050 (g) and (l) require that certain proposed accessory uses be approved only if it is found to be compatible with the surrounding area. A compatibility determination is only required in certain land use zoning districts.
- Proposed accessory uses that required a Compatibility Determination are covered in the development code in sections 84.01.050.
- Interactive maps are available to check your zoning.
In order for our office to make the compatibility determination, please provide the following:
- A description of the purpose of the building (please be specific).
- A picture of the front of the home and neighboring houses.
- Pictures of any similar buildings in the immediate area, if applicable, including addresses and/or APN.
- A picture of the proposed building, preferably with information from the manufacturer as to materials, dimensions, etc. Please indicate in the brochure/information the style and color proposed.
- A simple plot plan shall be submitted showing the placement of the proposed building, including dimensions (length, width, height, distance from other buildings and property lines), so we can determine that any/all setback requirements have been met. (This can be hand drawn and does not require a civil engineer).
- Lastly, if this request for a Compatibility Determination is for a Freight Container or Similar Storage-Type Structure (as described below), modifications to the structure are required to make the structure visually compatible with the on-site primary structure and surrounding neighborhood. Please describe below what changes or modifications you propose. You may also attach structure elevation drawings or building designs.
San Bernardino County development Code Section 84.01.050(f) Freight Containers and Similar Storage-Type Structures.
Freight containers, railroad cars, intermodal containers, and other similar storage-type structures shall not be allowed as accessory structures in the RS (Single Residential), RM (Multiple Residential), Agriculture (AG) or Rural Living (RL) land use zoning districts unless they are altered to appear to be similar to, and compatible with, the appearance of the on-site primary structure and the surrounding neighborhood, subject to the satisfaction of the Director.
PLEASE NOTE: Roof additions and/or ornamental attachments to the container may require additional engineering
prior to issuance of Building Permits. Additionally, any structure over 400 sq.ft. requires County Fire approval (letter).
Can I apply online? Yes, applications can be found in the EZ Online Permitting Portal
|Land Use Services Planning||
385 N. Arrowhead Ave.
- Step 1: Navigate to the EZOP Portal
- Step 2: Click "Planning" in the navigation menu.
- Step 3: Click the "Create an Application" button.
- Step 4: Read and accept the disclaimer. Then click the "Continue Application" button.
- Step 5: Select "Compatibility Determination" and click "Continue Application" to begin the application.