|Get e-mail updates when this information changes.|
The County invites qualified members of the public to apply to fill a vacant seat on the Board of Retirement.
The Board of Retirement’s primary role is to have the sole and exclusive fiduciary responsibility over the assets of the retirement system and to administer the system in a manner that will assure prompt delivery of benefits and related services to the participants and their beneficiaries. For more information regarding the Board of Retirement, visit https://www.sbcera.org.
Those seeking appointment should possess:
- At a minimum, a bachelor’s or equivalent degree in economics, business/public administration, finance, accounting or other closely related field. Advanced degrees in these fields or other related fields such as law, or certifications in finance, accounting or other closely related fields shall be desired qualifications;
- A minimum of two years of recent experience performing budget/financial analysis or managing financial investments in a public agency or private institution. Prior knowledge or experience with fiduciary responsibility is desirable;
- Advanced communication skills to express ideas with conviction and clarity;
- Strong analytical skills to understand investment policies and concepts;
- A strong forward-thinking visionary approach to recognize the value of present-day decisions and their impact on future plan benefits and investments;
- The ability to clearly articulate SBCERA’s general policies and concepts to various audiences;
- A demonstrated ability to work well with a board, commission, committee or other deliberative body.
Those interested in being appointed as a Board of Retirement member must submit a resume before 5 p.m. on Feb. 24, 2020 to ExecRecruit@hr.sbcounty.gov or at the following address:
San Bernardino County Human Resources Department
157 West Fifth St., First Floor
San Bernardino CA 92415-0440
Attn: Silvia Zayas
For more information, see legal notice at http://www.sbcounty.gov/Uploads/CAO/Feature/Content/retirement_board_notice.pdf.
The San Bernardino County Employees’ Retirement Association (SBCERA) is at the top of its class, that class being the 2013 Industry Innovators as determined by Asset International’s Chief Investment Officer (aiCIO) magazine.
“Winning [the 4th Annual Industry Innovation Award for “Public Pension Plan Below $15 Billion] is immensely rewarding,” said SBCERA Chief Investment Officer Don Pierce. “We are excited about the direction we’re taking and honored by the award.”
The award highlights the most innovative and positive work being done for, and at, the world’s largest pensions, endowments, foundations, and sovereign wealth funds. SBCERA is in good company; winners in other categories included United Technologies, United Parcel Service (UPS), The Kresge Foundation and General Mills. As part of the judging process and magazine article, aiCIO cited the fact that SBCERA recorded a 15.4 percent return year-to-date and a three-year annualized return of 12.6 percent through an innovative strategy based on income-oriented investing and using options to manage risk.
“This award demonstrates California county retirement systems are indeed worldwide industry leaders among public pension institutional investors,” said State Association of County Retirement Systems President Doug Rose. The award was accepted by SBCERA Trustees Dawn Stafford and Louis Fiorino on Dec. 9 at an awards banquet at the New York Public Library “Our Board, our staff and our consultants share a strategic vision that we are very proud of,” said Stafford.
SBCERA is an award-winning multiple employer public retirement system in California with over $7 billion in assets under management. SBCERA administers benefits and services for nearly 33,000 members and beneficiaries, commensurate with their years of service and compensation. The Board of Retirement’s responsibilities and functions are governed by the applicable provisions of the California Government Code, along with the By-Laws and regulations of SBCERA.