|Get e-mail updates when this information changes.|
County launches disaster preparedness app
Local public safety officials are encouraging residents to protect themselves and their loved ones before, during, and after a disaster by using a new smartphone app created through the San Bernardino County Office of Emergency Services (County OES) in partnership with QuickSeries Publishing.
“The county’s primary role is protecting the public. The Ready SB app gives residents and their families the tools and information they need to stay safe before, during, and after an emergency,” said Board of Supervisors Chairman James Ramos.
The new app, Ready SB, provides residents with multiple resources that will assist them in preparing for a disaster. Ready SB is now available as a free download from the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store and can immediately help residents prepare themselves for emergencies.
Ready SB features include:
- My Plan – Answer five simple questions and Ready SB will create your customized emergency supply checklist
- Alerts – With push notifications, County OES can notify you instantly of emergency situations in your area
- My Status – Use Ready SB’s integrated messaging system to send an instant status update to your personal emergency contact to let them know you’re OK or that you need assistance
- Evacmap & Shelters – Find evacuation routes with live traffic patterns and shelter locations with on- and offline mapping
- Need To Know – Learn all you need to plan for and respond to natural disasters, terrorism, pandemic flu, floods, earthquakes and more
- Resource List – Find contact information to local health and public safety agencies such as the American Red Cross, Animal Care & Control, county departments, and fire protection agencies
Ready SB’s features can be used with or without Internet connection. The app was created through a grant administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. This is the first app of its kind within the state of California.
Public safety officials urge residents to utilize the Ready SB app to make a family emergency plan and stay informed during emergencies.
“Ready SB makes emergency preparedness easier than ever. With one app, residents can stay informed and know exactly what to do to stay safe in case of an emergency,” said Michael Antonucci, Emergency Services Manager of County OES.
Residents are reminded to take the necessary steps to protect their families as firefighters continue to battle and monitor ongoing fires. “The San Bernardino County Fire Department goes above and beyond to protect its residents from emergencies. Now with the Ready SB app, we’re empowering residents with the information they need to take action and prevent themselves from becoming victims of a disaster,” Fire Chief Mark Hartwig said.