Internship and Volunteer Program
Interns and volunteers at the Department of Public Health (DPH) will find many different opportunities to serve local communities and to learn about the diverse array of programs and services that we offer. Interns and volunteers support the department as nurses, epidemiologists, health educators, research assistants, and several other important roles. If you are interested in exploring a rewarding career in public health or simply want to serve on a temporary basis, there is a place for you at DPH.
What would I be doing as an intern or volunteer?
DPH currently has 13 programs which welcome interns and volunteers. These programs work to address the public’s health from various angles and interventions to positively impact our diverse communities. Interns and volunteers can help in many areas such as research, data analysis or direct customer service such as leading health education and promotion activities.
How does DPH benefit from interns and volunteers?
Interns and volunteers may be very knowledgeable in certain fields of study which will help DPH to achieve its mission and vision. Interns and volunteers also bring a diversity of new perspectives, fresh ideas and creative solutions to health problems within our community and for improving departmental operations.
Which programs use interns or volunteers?
The following DPH programs work with interns and/or volunteers:
• Animal Care and Control
• Communicable Disease Section
• Clinic Operations
• Community Vital Signs
• Environmental Health Services
• Health Promotion & Education Services
• Healthy Communities
• Local Oral Health
• Preparedness and Response Program
• Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
Does DPH offer paid Internships?
DPH does not offer any paid internship or volunteer opportunities at this time. You will, however, receive hands-on experience and receive an opportunity to make an impact on the health and lives of San Bernardino County residents.
What is required to intern or volunteer?
- Applicants for internship must be part-time/full-time students, preferably in a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD Program. They must also attend a school that has entered into a current Learner Agreement with DPH (see the Which schools have a Learner Agreement with DPH section below).
- Non-internship volunteers must be 18 years of age or older to serve in DPH related activities and events. Volunteers do not need to be in any academic institution to apply.
- High school students interested in interning with DPH can visit the following website to learn more the county GenerationGo! Program: https://wp.sbcounty.gov/workforce/youth/
What information is needed for my application?
The application contains several of the forms you will need to submit with your application, however you will need to provide information on:
- Drivers license details
- Auto insurance details
- Field advisor contact information, if applicable
- Emergency Contacts
- Vocational license information, if any
- Available schedule for work
How will I know if my application is accepted?
All applications received are downloaded into a database used by a hiring manager to find interns and volunteers that meet a specific DPH program’s needs.
A hiring manager will contact candidates immediately when there is an opening for an intern or volunteer.
Unfortunately, given that we typically receive hundreds of applications each year, we are only able to acknowledge that your application has been received in the form of an email and contact those applicants chosen for an opening.
Which schools have a Learner Agreement with DPH?
• A.T. Still University
• Andrews University
• Argosy University
• Azusa Pacific University
• Benedictine University
• California Baptist University
• California State Polytechnic University
• California State University, Dominguez Hills
• California State University, Fullerton
• California State University, Long Beach
• California State University, Northridge
• California State University, San Bernardino
• Cerritos College
• Chaffey College
• Claremont Graduate University
• Concorde Career Institute
• Everest College
• Frontier Nursing University
• George Washington University
• Grand Canyon University
• Holy Names University
• Loma Linda University
• Mission Career College
• Mt. St Mary’s University
• National University
• Pacific Union College
• Partners for Better Health
• Patton State Hospital
• Reach Out West End
• San Diego State University
• San Joaquin Community College
• Simmons College
• Sonoma State University
• Southeast California College
• Stanbridge College
• Summit Career College
• University of San Francisco
• University of Southern California
• University of St Augustine for Health Services
• University of Tennessee
• Utah State University
• Walden University, LLC
• West Coast Ultrasound Institute
• Western Governors University
• Western University of Health Sciences