The County of San Bernardino Department of Public Works Adopt-A-Road Program provides an avenue for individuals or volunteer groups to keep their neighborhoods litter-free one road at a time.
This program is consistent with the County Vision, which says, in part: We will work together to connect and beautify communities through shared open spaces, public art and architecture that foster opportunities for neighborhood, community and family relationships and create a culture of investment in quality of life resources.
There are no fees to Adopt-A-Road UNLESS you want a recognition sign placed on the road. The fee for the sign and placement is per the current fee ordinance.
What are the advantages of Adopting-A-Road?
- Encourages neighborhood pride and increased property values.
- Reduces litter removal costs.
- Discourages littering because people litter less in clean neighborhoods.
- Allows maintenance crews to perform other tasks
Who can participate?
- Anyone 18 years old or older
- Family Members
- Non-profit organizations
- Government organizations
- Civic Groups
- A group of neighbors
- Any person(s) or group(s) who want to promote civic pride
- You, or your group, volunteer to clean-up a stretch of roadside.
- You decide on a group contact/leader.
- Adopt-A-Road will provide an encroachment permit, safety presentation (online - see below), safety vests, hard hats, trash bags, post-cleanup trash bag pick-up and disposal.
- Pick-up your roadside clean-up supplies (vests, hard hats and trash bags); select a date and time to conduct the clean-up; contact the Roads Department to register the date, time and location in the master calendar; review the Adopt-A-Road rules and safety tips with your volunteers prior to the event. ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST VIEW THE ONLINE TRAINING PRESENTATION AND SIGN THE RELEASE AND WAIVER FORM.
Full Adoption (with sign)
- Includes all items above.
- Must select one whole road or one mile of continuous road.
- Must clean the roadway a minimum of quarterly and may be asked to clean the road more. frequently if the Department receives complaints. Adoption is for one year.
Feel free to contact us regarding road availability. Remember: the road you choose to clean up must be in the unincorporated area of the County. County Department of Public Works staff will be happy to help you select a road to adopt.
Adopt-A-Road Application Package
Release and Waiver Form
Adopt-A-Road Program Basics Brochure
Adopt-A-Road Pick-Up Guidelines Brochure
Roads Available for Adoption
View Adopt-A-Road Safety Presentation
For Information Please Contact:
Phone: (909) 387-1863
Fax: (909) 387-1858
Can I apply online? No.
825 East Third Street