First Time Users

Welcome to EZ Online Permitting

Below are the steps included in the Permitting process along with useful information to navigate the process


  1. Find your property’s Assessor Parcel Number (APN) (Is My Parcel in the County). This will aid you in determining if your property is in the County’s jurisdiction.
  2. Determine which application to apply for using the quick reference guide
  3. View the How-To Videos, particularly:


Though the EZOP portal is mobile device compatible, it is recommended that a desktop/laptop is used to transact in the portal.

Supported Browsers

  • Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer 11 (32 bit)
  • FireFox 37
  • Safari 8 in Mac OS X 10.10
  • Google Chrome 4

Registration and Application Submittal

  1. Please go to and click on the EZOP Portal Sign In icon to Register or Start Application
  2. If you are not sure which permit you need, please see, Permit Quick Reference Guide
  3. Once you are logged in, you will have to choice to apply for Planning, Fire, Building, Enforcement, or Public Works applications
  4. When you click on Planning, Fire, Building, Enforcement, or Public Works, the applications will display
  5. Select the application
  6. Please fill out the application as completely as possible to avoid delay in processing your application

Documentation Requirements

  1. Please follow the Electronic Document Guidelines when uploading your plans/documentation
  2. Please avoid using characters in your file names

Property Owners, State of California Licensed Contractors, or Authorized Agents for property owner/ contractor may pull a permit with the following paperwork:

Property Owners

  • Proof of identification (Driver’s License, State Issued ID card, Alien Registration Card or Passport – Photo ID’s only)
  • Proof of ownership if there has been a recent of transfer of ownership (Grant Deed, Property Tax Statement or closing statement from Escrow)
  • Notice to Property Owner Form filled out and signed by property owner
  • Permit Declaration form

Authorized Agents

  • Notarized Notice to Property Owner Form filled out and signed by property owner
  • Notarized Authorization for Agent to Act on Property Owner’s Behalf (the name on the letter must match your ID)
  • If the property is owned by a Trust, you will need to provide a copy of the trust paperwork showing the trustee or executor
  • If the property is owned by a Corporation, LLC or Partnership you will need to provide a copy of the paperwork verifying the President, Vice-President, CEO, partner, or managing member
  • Permit Declaration form


  • Proof of Identification (Driver’s License, State Issued ID card, Alien Registration Card or Passport – Photo ID’s only)
  • Proof of current State of California Contractor’s License & classification (pocket card)
  • Agents will need the following paperwork:
  • Notarized Contractor Authorized Agent Form authorizing a person (not a business) to pull the building permit under the contractor’s license.
  • Permit Declaration form

Note: A tenant of a building cannot pull a permit unless they are an agent for either the Property Owner or Contractor.


  1. Staff verifies that the application submitted conforms to guidelines and coordinates with other departments to assess fees
  2. To begin the Plan Check, Staff sends Applicant an email that advises of the Plan Check fees due and directs Applicant to pay the Plan Check  fees via their EZOP portal account
  3. Once the plans are Approved, Staff sends Applicant an email advising of any additional fees that are due prior to Permit Issuance
  4. Staff coordinates with other departments to determine which Conditions are required to be met prior to permit issuance and final inspection
  5. Staff may add County documents required to satisfy Conditions into Applicant’s EZOP portal account in as Attachments
  6. Please be sure that you understand the conditions that must be met prior to the issuance of your permit and final inspections; and pertinent record related information.


  1. Applicant logs into their EZOP Online Portal Account and Pays Fees Due
    • Applicants may also visit the County’s Government Centers in San Bernardino, Hesperia, or Joshua Tree, along with various other County Land Use Services, Public Works, or Fire Marshal department offices, during normal business hours, to make a payment in person via credit card, paper check, or cash
  2. Applicant has the following Payment Options:
    • Credit Card (Visa/Mastercard/Discover)
    • Bank Account (Checking Account #/Routing # Required)


  1. County staff reviews project plans/documents
  2. Applicant interacts with staff until plans approved
  3. Additional changes may be requested to the plans
  4. An email to the Applicant requesting revisions will be sent, if applicable
  5. Applicant can log into their EZOP Portal Account to view, download, and upload revised plans
  6. Once complete, County staff uploads approved plans into the Applicant’s EZOP Portal Account as an attachment
  7. Applicant views/downloads approved plans form their EZOP Portal Account


  1. Applicant satisfies conditions listed on the record indicated as due “Prior to Issuance
  2. Visit EZOP Portal Account, click “My Records“, click “Record Number“, then click on “Conditions” for information on “Conditions
  3. County Staff issues permit
  4. County Staff adds permit to Applicant’s EZOP Portal Account as an attachment
  5. Applicant view/downloads their permit from their EZOP Portal Account


  1. Applicant can request an inspection online for Building & Safety permits.
  2. Applicant prints approved plans to make available for Inspector

If you still are unsure how to proceed, please reach out to:

County of San Bernardino EZ Online Permitting Support

Application Technical Support Hotline:
Toll Free (800) 722-4542 | Direct Line (909) 387-8311