Encroachment Permit–Public Works

Transportation Encroachment Permits allow you to encroach onto County Maintained Road System right-of-way to perform work or construct certain improvements. Examples include: construction of driveway approaches, installation or replacement of power poles, sidewalk repairs or replacements, construction of parking decks in mountain areas or traffic control to access existing underground utility facilities. A Transportation Encroachment Permit is required to ensure that proposed improvements do not interfere with the County’s operation and maintenance responsibilities and is in alignment with County and California Streets and Highways Codes.

Other possible requirements related to these permits include, but are not limited to: Construction Plans Minimum Measure Best Management Practices Acknowledgement Traffic Control Plans

Can I apply online? Yes, applications can be found in the EZ Online Permitting Portal


Department Address Phone

825 East Third Street
San Bernardino, CA 92415

(909) 387-7910

Application Path:

  • Step 1: Navigate to the EZOP Portal
  • Step 2: Click "Public Works" in the navigation menu.
    public works application
  • Step 3: Click the "Create an Application" button.
    create an application button
  • Step 4: Read and accept the disclaimer. Then click the "Continue Application" button.
  • Step 5: Select "Encroachment Permit" and click "Continue Application" to begin the application.
    Encroachment Permit Encroachment Permit permit button
Project Name
Encroachment Permit
Road Right of Way - Driveway
Road Right of Way - Miscellaneous Structures
Road Right of Way - Underground Utilities
Road Right of Way - Utility Structures
Road Right of Way - Walls and Fences