Tree (Plant) Removal Permit Application
This application is provided for those circumstances where a tree or plan removal is not in conjunction with a land use application or development permit (88.01.050)(d)(2).
Regulated trees and plants:
For a list of regulated trees and plants, please refer to Sections: 88.01.060(c), 88.01.070(b), 88.01.080(b) and 88.01.050 (e) (4) of the Development Code.
No person, except as provided in this Chapter, shall commence with a disturbance of land (e.g. grading or land clearing) without first obtaining approval to assure that said disturbance will not result in the removal of any regulated native trees or plants. Said approval may be in the form of a development permit or a Tree or Plant Removal Permit issued by the appropriate authority. [Section 88.01.050) (i) (8)]
Findings for Tree or Plant Removal Permits [Section 88.01.050 (f)]:
The applicable review authority may authorize the removal of a regulated tree or plant only if the following findings are made:
- The location of the regulated tree or plant and/or its drip line interferes with an allowed structure, sewage disposal area, paved area, or other approved improvement or ground disturbing activity and there is no other alternative feasible location for the improvement.
- The location of the regulated tree or plant and/or its drip line interferes with the planned improvement of a street or development of an approved access to the subject or adjoining private property and there is no other alternative feasible location for the improvement.
- The location of the regulated tree or plant is hazardous to pedestrian or vehicular travel or safety.
- The regulated tree or plant or its presence interferes with or is causing extensive damage to utility services or facilities, roadways, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, pavement, sewer line(s), drainage or flood control improvements, foundations, existing structures, or municipal improvements.
- The condition or location of the regulated tree or plant is adjacent to and in such close proximity to an existing or proposed structure that the regulated tree or plant has or will sustain significant damage.
As part of your application for a tree or plant removal permit, you will be required to submit the following information to advance planning for approval:
- Descrition of the reason the protected tree(s) and/ or plant(s) need to be removed. (Please be specific).
- A color photo of the site area which clearly indicates the present condition of the land and land uses within the location of the site.
- A color photo of the proposed tree(s) and/or plant(s) to be removed.
- Lastly, a simple plot plan should be submitted showing the location of protected trees and/or plants, including road right of way. (This can be hand drawn and does not require a civil engineer).
Expert Certification The applicable review authority may require certification from an appropriate arborist, registered professional forester or a Desert Native Plant expert that the proposed tree or plant removal, replacement, or revegetation activities are appropriate, supportive of a healthy environment, and in compliance with the Development Code. The certification shall include the information in compliance with Department procedures (88.01.050)(b).
Can I apply online? Yes, applications can be found in the EZ Online Permitting Portal
|Land Use Services Planning||
385 N. Arrowhead Ave.
- Step 1: Navigate to the EZOP Portal
- Step 2: Click "Planning" in the navigation menu.
- Step 3: Click the "Create an Application" button.
- Step 4: Read and accept the disclaimer. Then click the "Continue Application" button.
- Step 5: Select "Tree and Plant Removal" and click "Continue Application" to begin the application.
Tree and Plant Removal