Variances are provided for in the Development Code and State Law to allow flexibility of development standards where the strict application of a regulation may not be appropriate. According to State Law, the justification for a Variance is that you as a property owner would suffer a unique hardship if the development standard as specified in the Development Code were strictly applied. Prior to approving a variance, the reviewing authority must be able to make the following findings:
- The granting of such variance will not be materially detrimental to other properties or land uses in the area and will not substantially interfere with the present or future ability to use solar energy systems.
- There are exceptional or extraordinary circumstances or conditions applicable to the property or to the intended use that do not apply to other properties in the same district or vicinity.
- The strict application of the land use district deprives such property of privileges enjoyed by other properties in the vicinity or in the same land use district.
- The granting of the variance is compatible with the objectives, policies, general land uses and programs specified in the County General Plan and any applicable plan.
Can I apply online? Yes, applications can be found in the EZ Online Permitting Portal
385 N. Arrowhead Ave.
- Step 1: Navigate to the EZOP Portal
- Step 2: Click "Planning" in the navigation menu.
- Step 3: Click the "Create an Application" button.
- Step 4: Read and accept the disclaimer. Then click the "Continue Application" button.
- Step 5: Select "Variance" and click "Continue Application" to begin the application.