Citizens on Patrol
Citizen Volunteer Units are utilized throughout the county to assist the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department in meeting law enforcement objectives during the normal course of operation as well as times of disasters and emergencies. The program encourages community support and understanding of law enforcement through involvement in volunteer units such as Citizen on Patrol, Equestrian on Patrol and many administrative, specialized and support functions.
The qualifications to become a Citizen Volunteer member are:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be a legal U.S. resident
- Must be a high school graduate or possess a G.E.D.
- Pass an oral interview
- Pass a background investigation
- Monthly business meeting
- Minimum one monthly training session (mandatory attendance at training)
- Donate a minimum of 8 hours per month (averaged quarterly)
- Maintain current First Aid and CPR certification
- Attend the Citizen Volunteer Academy training course